Customers-Products-Tin - www.ussteel.com
U. S. Steel is a producer of high-quality tins for the packaging, automotive, construction and other industries. In addition to world-class quality, we offer manufacturers the benefits of a domestic provider—stable supply, quick response and industry-specific American know-how and service.
Tin is an important raw material in the packaging industry for the manufacture of a wide range of products, including food cans, aerosol cans, ends and closures. Tin products from U. S. Steel are available in four categories:
- Electrolytic tinplate—very thin material with a thin coating of tin on steel
- Electrolytic chromium coated steel—very thin material with a thin coating of chrome on steel, also known as tin-free steel (TFS)
- Blackplate (uncoated)—very thin cold-rolled substrate produced in thicknesses <0.0142”
- Drawn & Ironed (D&I)—specialty type of tinplate designed to be deep drawn into a two-piece can
In addition to packaging products, tin is a highly effective material choice used in automotive products such as oil filters, gaskets, battery tops and vehicle trim. Tin also is important contributor to product performance in construction materials like ducts, shelving, utility sheds and cable sheathing.
U. S. Steel offers a full range of tin material choices, aligned with American Iron and Steel Institute Tin Mill Product Classifications:
- Single Reduced Black Plate (1 CR BP)—70# through 128# base weight
- Double Reduced Black Plate (2 CR BP)—53# through 100# base weight
Electrolytic Tin Coated
- Single Reduced Electrolytic Tinplate (1 CR ETP)—70# through 135# base weight
- Double Reduced Electrolytic Tinplate (2 CR ETP)—53# through 100# base weight
- Single Reduced Electrolytic Tin Coated Sheet (1 CR TCS)—starting at 0.0150 inch nominal
Electrolytic Chromium Coated
- Single Reduced Electrolytic Chromium Coated Black Plate (1 CR ECCS)—70# through 128# base weight
- Double Reduced Electrolytic Chromium Coated Black Plate (2 CR ECCS)—55# through 100# base weight
- Food cans
- Aerosol cans
- Packaging ends
- Packaging closures
- Oil filters
- Battery tops
- Vehicle trim
- Utility sheds
- Cable sheathing
As the largest U. S. metal supplier to the packaging industry, U. S. Steel offers a winning combination of product breadth, quality and expertise to packaging customers.
At U. S. Steel, careful listening, creative thinking and cross-functional collaboration turn better steel into better solutions for our automaker customers.
Durability, versatility and sustainability make steel the material of choice in the construction industry. U. S. Steel's product selection and expertise are second to none.
Whatever your opportunity or challenge, we have a solution.
Browse our product categories below to learn more.
NORTH AMERICAN FLAT-ROLLED